Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Say Good-Bye to Colorado Springs

We were supposed to stay in Colorado Springs until Thursday but when we woke up this morning, we decided to head to Alamosa to see the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It's about a 3 hour drive so we checked out of our great hotel and headed down the road.

The drive took us down I25 along the Sangre de Cristo mountains. In the distance, I could see two really large ones looming ~ now this is what mountains should look like! If they only had snow capped tops like those in Washington, I'd be thrilled.

We made it to the Sand Dunes - pretty impressive. Pretty tall - some are 750 feet tall! I took one look and decided to let dear husband and almost 18-year old trudge up the sand. I walked out just a little ways with them so I could take pictures of their trek and almost had 3rd degree burns on my feet. I had sandals on and as the sand came up into them, it burned horribly. Just before they started, the almost 18-year old decided to go bare foot. It took one shoe off for about 3 seconds to change his mind. That sand is HOT, HOT, HOT!

After the dunes, we headed to our Best Western Movie Manor hotel - it is situated on a drive in theater and they pipe the movie into the rooms. We drove about 20 minutes past Alamosa, took one look at it, and drove back to Alamosa and booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express (tomorrow we do surgery because we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express). I'm sure the Best Western rooms were nice but it looked like it was about 100 years old - rickety and run down.

We did make a stop at the Monte Vista Wildlife Refuge Center but for some reason, changed our minds and chose not to take the 1 hour drive around. It was mostly wetlands - so lots of birds. No lions, tigers, or bears (oh my).

Tomorrow we head to Santa Fe. I'm hoping it's as beautiful as I've heard. I need some good pictures!

See ya tomorrow!

No comments: